A Julie Recipe-Monterey Chicken
This is a delicious favourite – moist chicken breast topped with bacon, sweet BBQ flavours and golden bubbling cheese. It’s easy to make – just be sure not to overcook the chicken.
Prep Time: 15
Cooking Time: 15
- 4 small skinless chicken breast fillets
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 rashers bacon, finely chopped
- 200g button mushrooms, finely sliced
- 2 sachets (4 tbsp) Fountain Barbecue Pizza Paste
- 1 tbsp Fountain Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Slice the chicken breast fillet carefully, horizontally, so that it is in 2 evenly sized pieces. Gently pound with a meat mallet so that the fillets are an even thickness.
- Heat oil in a non-stick frypan over medium-high heat, and pan-fry chicken steaks for around 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown and just cooked through. Be wary of over-cooking or it will be very dry.
- Remove the chicken and keep under foil.
- In the pan, sauté the bacon until starting to brown, then add the mushrooms. (If the mushrooms are large, cut them in half before slicing thinly.)
- Saute until the mushrooms are soft and cooked.
- Add the Fountain BBQ Pizza Paste and Fountain Worcestershire Sauce and cook for a further minute.
- Place the chicken on a lined baking tray. Put a spoonful of the bacon mixture on each fillet and carefully press it all over the top. Place 1/8 of the mozzarella on each fillet.
- Place under a hot grill for 2-3 minutes or until golden and bubbling.
- Tip: This is delicious served with salad and corn fritters.